Skip to main content

Football Again

I watched the Champions League quarter finals on the big screen at the Sheraton. As expected, most of the crowd were cheering for Milan in their games against Lyon. Unexpectedly, most of the crowd were cheering for Arsenal against Juventus.

Why is this so? Are Albanians particularly hostile to Juventus? Or are they particularly fond of Arsenal? Is the English Premiership more popular than Serie A? Or - my best guess - was I in a room full of Milan supporters?

Meanwhile, it has been some time since I updated you on the coaching situation at Dinamo. Ivan Katalinić had been in charge last time I commented, but he was sacked after the team lost to Partizan and was replaced by non-other than Luka Bonačić.

This was the man who resigned earlier in the season saying 'The team has no discipline. There is no work ethic in this team and in Albanian football as well. Without that it is impossible to work and in such work conditions there is no chance to achieve your objectives.' When re-appointed he said 'I never left Dinamo, I am still under contract.' So that's clear then.

As for the team, you may recall his views following his previous appointment: 'The players are completely out of shape, They go looking for water as soon as they move a little. They have to do some serious running in the next few weeks.' On his re-appointment he commented: 'Dinamo are not as strong as they were, but we can still pull it off.' So that's cleared that up too.

He lasted precisely ten days before accepting an offer from Hajduk Split, a team he had previously coached in the 1990s. Vasil Bici then took over as coach (again) for a few weeks until Dinamo appointed Sulejman Demollari. He lasted two games before being sacked. Who's coaching Dinamo right now? Damned if I know.

On the pitch Dinamo are clinging to their fourth spot and making no impact on the top three. This weekend three games were marked by violence. The game between Besa and Partizani had to be abandoned for a period because of crowd trouble, while match officials were attacked by players at the games between Shkumbini-Partizani and Skënderbeu-Teuta.

Comments

Milena said…
I bet they cheered for Arsenal because they were Milan supporters. My friends did the exact same thing!
vloraboy said…
I am personally a Milan (crazy) fan, and an admirer of Arsenal. This was a good week for me. I need to tell you a little story.

I live in Chicago, so with the time difference it is hard for me to watch any games (if they show them on TV). I put the Milan game on the TV in our office and I have to tell I was very happy that I was able to watch it. I basically screamed when Milan scored their first. That drew the attention of my two Chinese office mates, and made all the other American co-workers wisper... oh that crazy futbol' fan. After Lyon scored I got pretty quiet. The last 10 minutes of the game, I was joined by my Chinese friends. None of them are soccer fans, but they stopped doing their complicated math research and started watching with me. When Inzaghi scored the second for Milan, my office had 6 people in it...and when Sheva scored again, there were about 10 people in the room, all cheering for Milan, with the Chinese being the LOUDEST. It was truly an amazing moment for me (the only soccer fan in the room).

Football is the best sport in the world.

Popular posts from this blog

50 Ways to Make Some Money

The death of communism in Albania brought a flourishing market economy to life just as it did across Central Europe and Russia. On the streets of Tirana people are buying and selling, trading goods and services in predictable, or sometimes novel, ways. The shops are the most obvious expression of this. The streets are lined with little stores selling almost everything you could want. Freed from the choking grip of state bureaucracy Albanians are now at liberty to buy whatever they can afford. No matter how absurd the demand, someone will create the supply. Hence the preponderance of shoe stores in this city of muddy streets and torn up footpaths. Especially outlandish is the fashion for high heeled white boots - about as impractical a style of footware as could be imagined. Dotted across the city are the market stalls, sometimes just one person selling bananas, elsewhere a whole street lined with sellers of fresh fruit and vegetables, meat, fish and spices. Those who cannot bring thei…

Welcome

Welcome to Our Man in Tirana. I moved to Tirana, capital of Albania, in October 2005 and left in October 2007. This blog is a mix of photographs, reports, links, impressions and, undoubtedly, prejudices relating to the city and the country.

Since I am no longer in Tirana I am no longer updating this blog. However, there are over 300 posts covering this two year period and I hope that they are still of some interest.

So if you are curious about Albania or if you are planning to visit I hope this blog will be of value.

Petrela Castle

This is Petrela Castle near Tirana. The site has been fortified since the 4th century, but the oldest surviving parts are from the 13th century. Today the castle is a restaurant where you can enjoy lunch while taking in the views.