Ask me how much I knew about Albania before coming here and my list would be a short one: Enver Hoxha, bunkers and Sir Norman Wisdom. I have no idea when or how I acquired this extensive body of knowledge, but the association of Norman Wisdom with Albania was by far the most interesting part of it. I remember watching Norman Wisdom's old films on British television. My parents were fans of his wholesome, slapstick comedy, but apparently missed the ideological significance of Pitkin's relationship with Mr Grimsdale. Pitkin, the downtrodden and oppressed representative of the workers, triumphed every time over his capitalist oppressor, Mr Grimsdale - and he got the girl. It took a theorist of Hoxha's insight and profundity to discern this deeper political message. It always seemed tremendously unlikely, yet the story of Sir Norman's fame in Albania has been reported in worthy sources like the BBC , the Guardian and the Daily Telegraph . According to the Guardian, when Wi...
Comments
This is Absurde and False. Most albanians are atheist and only a small minority practices religion.
It's a good feeling to get such "rare" positive articles from major newspapers like The New York Times
"Are you Catholic or Protestant?" the gunman asked.
"I'm an athiest!" the terrified man replied.
Said the gunman, "Yes, yes, but are you a Catholic Athiest or a Protestant Athiest?!"
"Are you Catholic or Protestant?" the gunman asked.
"I'm a Jew!" the terrified man replied.
Said the gunman, "Thanks be to Allah, who has led me to this Jew!"