Skip to main content

Welcome

Welcome to Our Man in Tirana. I moved to Tirana, capital of Albania, in October 2005 and left in October 2007. This blog is a mix of photographs, reports, links, impressions and, undoubtedly, prejudices relating to the city and the country.

Since I am no longer in Tirana I am no longer updating this blog. However, there are over 300 posts covering this two year period and I hope that they are still of some interest.

So if you are curious about Albania or if you are planning to visit I hope this blog will be of value.

Comments

Alwyn:

nice of you to leave your blog as a reference about Albania - it's much more than that. It was a labor of love, and thank you for it!

Personally I miss its updates, but ....Dougal's face it's always haunting!

Hope that it maintains also for you memories of two years of experiences in a harsh, but hospitable and loving land.

Best to you and your wife in all your new endeavors.
Anonymous said…
I have followed your postings but never left a comment, until now. I would like to thank you for your work and for keeping my long love for the country fully alive. My Albanian wife and I lived in Tirana from 2004-06 - we visit regularly. Thanks again

Best
Mads
Wondering said…
Hiya,
I'm in DC 1-7th March. Free to meet up?
Cheryl
Anonymous said…
Tirana rocks and it will rock even more after this project!

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/7851/tiranarocksjz4.jpg
Unknown said…
Bravo!
Andrea said…
I just finished reading a number of your posts about Albania and have learned a lot. Thanks for the info. I look forward to reading how you are finding life in Munich.
Anonymous said…
You are missed!
You have a very supportive personality,a dn especially in the 2007 pre independence stressful year, I enjoyed reading this blog!
warm regards

Popular posts from this blog

Orthodox Cathedral

These are some pictures of the new Resurrection of Christ Orthodox Cathedral under construction in Tirana. The website of the architectural partnership behind the church has images of how it is planned to look when finished.

Albania and the Perils of the 21st Century

Another article on religion in Albania appeared yesterday. Patrick Poole, writing in the American Thinker , argues that Saudi funding for the construction of mosques and the training of imams is a threat to Albania, since these mosques and imams reflect the fundamentalist interpretation of Islam dominant in Saudi Arabia.

Big in Albania

Ask me how much I knew about Albania before coming here and my list would be a short one: Enver Hoxha, bunkers and Sir Norman Wisdom. I have no idea when or how I acquired this extensive body of knowledge, but the association of Norman Wisdom with Albania was by far the most interesting part of it. I remember watching Norman Wisdom's old films on British television. My parents were fans of his wholesome, slapstick comedy, but apparently missed the ideological significance of Pitkin's relationship with Mr Grimsdale. Pitkin, the downtrodden and oppressed representative of the workers, triumphed every time over his capitalist oppressor, Mr Grimsdale - and he got the girl. It took a theorist of Hoxha's insight and profundity to discern this deeper political message. It always seemed tremendously unlikely, yet the story of Sir Norman's fame in Albania has been reported in worthy sources like the BBC , the Guardian and the Daily Telegraph . According to the Guardian, when Wi...