Skip to main content

Down South

At the weekend we finally headed South. Together with some friends we drove down to Llogora, between Vlora and Himara. The weather was great, the beaches were pleasant and uncrowded, the water was clear and the food was superb. I even tried some lamb's head at last. The lips (I think they were lips) were fine; the brain was disappointing - mushy with very little taste. The raki tasted better than usual, though I resisted the suggestion that I should have some with breakfast. Below are some photographs of the area and of part of our Sunday dinner. The last photograph is of the Independence Monument in Vlora.











Comments

ITS said…
Wow...

That's "dolce vita" there, brother.

Good for you...

I don't know what I am doing freezing my behind in Canada, when heaven is back in Albania...
Anonymous said…
What beautiful country we have! :)
Thx for the pics. they're dreamy
olli said…
You're welcome.

Popular posts from this blog

Albania and the Perils of the 21st Century

Another article on religion in Albania appeared yesterday. Patrick Poole, writing in the American Thinker , argues that Saudi funding for the construction of mosques and the training of imams is a threat to Albania, since these mosques and imams reflect the fundamentalist interpretation of Islam dominant in Saudi Arabia.

Orthodox Cathedral

These are some pictures of the new Resurrection of Christ Orthodox Cathedral under construction in Tirana. The website of the architectural partnership behind the church has images of how it is planned to look when finished.

Big in Albania

Ask me how much I knew about Albania before coming here and my list would be a short one: Enver Hoxha, bunkers and Sir Norman Wisdom. I have no idea when or how I acquired this extensive body of knowledge, but the association of Norman Wisdom with Albania was by far the most interesting part of it. I remember watching Norman Wisdom's old films on British television. My parents were fans of his wholesome, slapstick comedy, but apparently missed the ideological significance of Pitkin's relationship with Mr Grimsdale. Pitkin, the downtrodden and oppressed representative of the workers, triumphed every time over his capitalist oppressor, Mr Grimsdale - and he got the girl. It took a theorist of Hoxha's insight and profundity to discern this deeper political message. It always seemed tremendously unlikely, yet the story of Sir Norman's fame in Albania has been reported in worthy sources like the BBC , the Guardian and the Daily Telegraph . According to the Guardian, when Wi...