Skip to main content

Albanians Rediscover God

Today's Washington Post has an article on the revival of religious communities in Shkoder.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I have to say I meself made my humble contribution to this Albanian godfest when I was 16. Of course it was all for naught as I was accompanying Bible-belt Yanks.;)
Anonymous said…
i think the article has a point. Myself i've noticed that unfortunately Islamic influence in Albania has been growing. It's sad that foreigners always ha ve a better understanding of the situation in Albania than Albanians themselves!
Our number one radical islamist is Berisha and then comes Nano who was sort of the best man in Turkey's priminister/or prestident's son wedding. Nothing wrong with that, except that the bride was 19 and her veil tight around her face. Disgusting!
Anonymous said…
As much as i hate to admit it, I have to agree with the last comment made by anonymous. It used to be that religion did not matter much in the country but with Albania's inclusion in the OIC (Organization of Islamic Countries) in 1991-92, all of that changed. Mosques spread out everywhere and an Islamization of the cities and the country side with high minarets took place. It's kinda sad because especially after 9/11 that's what foreigners notice most about the country given that the mosques are in such a central position in each city and they have the prayers played outloud 5 times a day. To a foreigner surely this must look like a muslim country. But in truth very few people attend mosque service on fridays or church on sundays, for that matter.

Popular posts from this blog

Albania and the Perils of the 21st Century

Another article on religion in Albania appeared yesterday. Patrick Poole, writing in the American Thinker , argues that Saudi funding for the construction of mosques and the training of imams is a threat to Albania, since these mosques and imams reflect the fundamentalist interpretation of Islam dominant in Saudi Arabia.

Orthodox Cathedral

These are some pictures of the new Resurrection of Christ Orthodox Cathedral under construction in Tirana. The website of the architectural partnership behind the church has images of how it is planned to look when finished.

Big in Albania

Ask me how much I knew about Albania before coming here and my list would be a short one: Enver Hoxha, bunkers and Sir Norman Wisdom. I have no idea when or how I acquired this extensive body of knowledge, but the association of Norman Wisdom with Albania was by far the most interesting part of it. I remember watching Norman Wisdom's old films on British television. My parents were fans of his wholesome, slapstick comedy, but apparently missed the ideological significance of Pitkin's relationship with Mr Grimsdale. Pitkin, the downtrodden and oppressed representative of the workers, triumphed every time over his capitalist oppressor, Mr Grimsdale - and he got the girl. It took a theorist of Hoxha's insight and profundity to discern this deeper political message. It always seemed tremendously unlikely, yet the story of Sir Norman's fame in Albania has been reported in worthy sources like the BBC , the Guardian and the Daily Telegraph . According to the Guardian, when Wi...