Skip to main content

Just Dropping In

It looks like Albania will be having a Presidential visit in June. President Bush will be stopping off for a day after the G-8 Summit in Germany.

I remember these visits in Belfast. President Clinton dropped in a couple of times to offer support for the political negotiations that were taking place in the late 1990's. His security people insisted on shutting down most of Belfast and it was almost impossible to move.

Clinton made a number of public appearances - including turning on the lights on Belfast's Christmas tree, so people got a chance to see and hear him. There are no details of President Bush's schedule, but I doubt he will be meeting the public.

All in all a good day to sit on the balcony with some beer, some ice-cream and a good book.

Comments

ITS said…
I, for one, would love for the bush to turn on the Christmas lights in Albania too... never mind that it's april...

/ah... the hu-manity ...
Anonymous said…
YEI! I'm so excited. The president of the United States of America is coming to visit us!
Unfortunately look who will have the privilege to meet him, Berisha. I hope he behaves and doesn't say anything dumb.
Anonymous said…
Anybody bothers to make a connection between Kosova and President Bush's visit? U.S.-led NATO forces entered Kosova on June 10th, the same day our President visits Albania. I expects a hero's welcome from all Albanians living in the Balkans, and I expect many Kosova Albanians to travel to Tirana. With lots of American flags and lots of love and gratitude for this country of ours.
olli said…
Though it is fair to say, Sokol, that many Republicans were opposed to 'Clinton's war' in Kosovo. Candidate Bush himself was tentatively supportive, but not enthusiastically so.

After the conflict ended Bush's position was that US forces should get out of the region as soon as possible, leaving 'peacekeeping' to the Europeans. (This despite the fact that the majority of the forces that entered Kosovo in June were European - all KFOR commanders have been European).

America's telling contribution was in the air, not on the ground.

Also, while the peace agreement was ratified by the UN on June 10 and Serb forces signalled their departure on that date, NATO forces did not actually enter Kosovo until June 12.
Anonymous said…
In the 90s Bush senior came to Albania by boat and visited Vlora with Berisha. Maybe they were planning the oleoducts. They were both dressed casually, but Berisha had a tie over his t-shirt =)
Senior Bush said that his grandfather had Albanian ancestry from the Bush-es of Fieri!
Anonymous said…
Albania will be one of his last stops in Easter Europe. Apart from giving us publicity now that the Kosovo status is being decided, I think that the missiles issue is the main reason.

Sokol, bring some Uk flags, too!

Popular posts from this blog

Orthodox Cathedral

These are some pictures of the new Resurrection of Christ Orthodox Cathedral under construction in Tirana. The website of the architectural partnership behind the church has images of how it is planned to look when finished.

Albania and the Perils of the 21st Century

Another article on religion in Albania appeared yesterday. Patrick Poole, writing in the American Thinker , argues that Saudi funding for the construction of mosques and the training of imams is a threat to Albania, since these mosques and imams reflect the fundamentalist interpretation of Islam dominant in Saudi Arabia.

Big in Albania

Ask me how much I knew about Albania before coming here and my list would be a short one: Enver Hoxha, bunkers and Sir Norman Wisdom. I have no idea when or how I acquired this extensive body of knowledge, but the association of Norman Wisdom with Albania was by far the most interesting part of it. I remember watching Norman Wisdom's old films on British television. My parents were fans of his wholesome, slapstick comedy, but apparently missed the ideological significance of Pitkin's relationship with Mr Grimsdale. Pitkin, the downtrodden and oppressed representative of the workers, triumphed every time over his capitalist oppressor, Mr Grimsdale - and he got the girl. It took a theorist of Hoxha's insight and profundity to discern this deeper political message. It always seemed tremendously unlikely, yet the story of Sir Norman's fame in Albania has been reported in worthy sources like the BBC , the Guardian and the Daily Telegraph . According to the Guardian, when Wi...