Skip to main content

Human Trafficking

Comments

Anonymous said…
As someone who has an MBA I am highly suspicious of anything that contains the words "SWOT analysis". Imagine my surprise when I read these words in a police report.

In any case, despite accusations of Albania being a source as well as a destination of THB, the report did not provide any hard evidence as to the extent of the problem in Albania. Rumours abound that there are as many as 30,000 sexworkers from Albania servicing the trade in the streets of Europe. However, I find these rumors to be greatly exaggerated.
Anonymous said…
what do you base your exaggeration on?
Anonymous said…
I base it on the fact that it is based on rumors, not statistics.
Anonymous said…
hum....doubtful, but maybe you are right. The difficulty lies in the fact that there are no identity cards as of yet. And it becomes incresingly challenging to indentify missing persons. Moreover, some families especially in remote villages (but even neighbours of mine in the city) deny that their daughters or sisters have been taken as prostitutes as not to loose face (I know its a stupid thing to do, but its still a patriarchal society).

So, the evidence is very hard to be backed. But then again we are talking about a shady business such as that of human trafficking, so real numbers would be hard to come by anyways.

Popular posts from this blog

Albania and the Perils of the 21st Century

Another article on religion in Albania appeared yesterday. Patrick Poole, writing in the American Thinker , argues that Saudi funding for the construction of mosques and the training of imams is a threat to Albania, since these mosques and imams reflect the fundamentalist interpretation of Islam dominant in Saudi Arabia.

Orthodox Cathedral

These are some pictures of the new Resurrection of Christ Orthodox Cathedral under construction in Tirana. The website of the architectural partnership behind the church has images of how it is planned to look when finished.

Big in Albania

Ask me how much I knew about Albania before coming here and my list would be a short one: Enver Hoxha, bunkers and Sir Norman Wisdom. I have no idea when or how I acquired this extensive body of knowledge, but the association of Norman Wisdom with Albania was by far the most interesting part of it. I remember watching Norman Wisdom's old films on British television. My parents were fans of his wholesome, slapstick comedy, but apparently missed the ideological significance of Pitkin's relationship with Mr Grimsdale. Pitkin, the downtrodden and oppressed representative of the workers, triumphed every time over his capitalist oppressor, Mr Grimsdale - and he got the girl. It took a theorist of Hoxha's insight and profundity to discern this deeper political message. It always seemed tremendously unlikely, yet the story of Sir Norman's fame in Albania has been reported in worthy sources like the BBC , the Guardian and the Daily Telegraph . According to the Guardian, when Wi...