Skip to main content

Football Again

I watched the Champions League quarter finals on the big screen at the Sheraton. As expected, most of the crowd were cheering for Milan in their games against Lyon. Unexpectedly, most of the crowd were cheering for Arsenal against Juventus.

Why is this so? Are Albanians particularly hostile to Juventus? Or are they particularly fond of Arsenal? Is the English Premiership more popular than Serie A? Or - my best guess - was I in a room full of Milan supporters?

Meanwhile, it has been some time since I updated you on the coaching situation at Dinamo. Ivan Katalinić had been in charge last time I commented, but he was sacked after the team lost to Partizan and was replaced by non-other than Luka Bonačić.

This was the man who resigned earlier in the season saying 'The team has no discipline. There is no work ethic in this team and in Albanian football as well. Without that it is impossible to work and in such work conditions there is no chance to achieve your objectives.' When re-appointed he said 'I never left Dinamo, I am still under contract.' So that's clear then.

As for the team, you may recall his views following his previous appointment: 'The players are completely out of shape, They go looking for water as soon as they move a little. They have to do some serious running in the next few weeks.' On his re-appointment he commented: 'Dinamo are not as strong as they were, but we can still pull it off.' So that's cleared that up too.

He lasted precisely ten days before accepting an offer from Hajduk Split, a team he had previously coached in the 1990s. Vasil Bici then took over as coach (again) for a few weeks until Dinamo appointed Sulejman Demollari. He lasted two games before being sacked. Who's coaching Dinamo right now? Damned if I know.

On the pitch Dinamo are clinging to their fourth spot and making no impact on the top three. This weekend three games were marked by violence. The game between Besa and Partizani had to be abandoned for a period because of crowd trouble, while match officials were attacked by players at the games between Shkumbini-Partizani and Skënderbeu-Teuta.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I bet they cheered for Arsenal because they were Milan supporters. My friends did the exact same thing!
Anonymous said…
I am personally a Milan (crazy) fan, and an admirer of Arsenal. This was a good week for me. I need to tell you a little story.

I live in Chicago, so with the time difference it is hard for me to watch any games (if they show them on TV). I put the Milan game on the TV in our office and I have to tell I was very happy that I was able to watch it. I basically screamed when Milan scored their first. That drew the attention of my two Chinese office mates, and made all the other American co-workers wisper... oh that crazy futbol' fan. After Lyon scored I got pretty quiet. The last 10 minutes of the game, I was joined by my Chinese friends. None of them are soccer fans, but they stopped doing their complicated math research and started watching with me. When Inzaghi scored the second for Milan, my office had 6 people in it...and when Sheva scored again, there were about 10 people in the room, all cheering for Milan, with the Chinese being the LOUDEST. It was truly an amazing moment for me (the only soccer fan in the room).

Football is the best sport in the world.

Popular posts from this blog

Dy Rame Per Tirane

I was watching Top Channel last night, first the news, then Fiks Fare. According to them Tirana's citizens now have a choice not only between Rama and Olldashi, but also between Rama and Rama. A minor right-wing faction, Parti 'Balli Kombetar' , submitted papers to the election authorities registering their candidate, Akile Rama. The people on Fiks Fare got hold of the papers and sent a reporter and camera team to the address listed for Mr A Rama. After much ringing of the bell the gate was reluctantly opened by a middle-aged woman who refused to speak to the reporter and tried to close the gate on her. Back in the studio Saimiri and Doctori - the two presenters of Fiks Fare - revealed that Mr Akile Rama was 73 years old, in hospital, and did not know he was now a candidate for mayor. They also compared two documents - the papers submitted on his behalf, and a genuine document he had signed. The signatures were not even remotely similar. There was an interview with the lea

Albania and the Perils of the 21st Century

Another article on religion in Albania appeared yesterday. Patrick Poole, writing in the American Thinker , argues that Saudi funding for the construction of mosques and the training of imams is a threat to Albania, since these mosques and imams reflect the fundamentalist interpretation of Islam dominant in Saudi Arabia.

Guide Turistike

According to the World Travel and Tourism Council , the future is bright for Albania. The Council ranks Albania ninth out of 174 countries for tourism growth over the next ten years. A summary of the Council's report is available, as is the full report complete with many pages of graphs, charts and spreadsheets. This summer I have seen a number of tourists on the streets of Tirana. Some of them may well be Albanian expats, or people of Albanian descent returning home to visit family, but others are genuine 'foreigners'. Judging from their appearance, they are probably best described as 'independent travellers' - the kind of people who are not interested in luxury hotels or crowded beaches. This is a good start, but independent travellers are not the kind of big spenders that the tourist industry likes. In the longer term, if Albania wants to bring in the kind of free-spending tourists who currently holiday in Croatia or Slovenia, there will have to be a huge invest