Skip to main content

Tirana Jazz Festival

Thanks to Laura who sent some information on the Tirana Jazz Festival which starts tonight - 29 May - and runs until Saturday 2 June with performances every night.

I'm not a big fan of jazz so I have no idea who most of the artists are, but that's probably all the more reason to go along to a few shows and find out.

The venue for all performances is Lollipop on Rr. Pjeter Bogdani. You can read more about the festival at Moving Culture and in the festival booklet.

Comments

Anonymous said…
i wish i was in tirana!!! i like the idea of a jazz festival back home. much better than the photographic exhibition...
eni said…
yes I wish I was there too:(

Popular posts from this blog

Orthodox Cathedral

These are some pictures of the new Resurrection of Christ Orthodox Cathedral under construction in Tirana. The website of the architectural partnership behind the church has images of how it is planned to look when finished.

Albania and the Perils of the 21st Century

Another article on religion in Albania appeared yesterday. Patrick Poole, writing in the American Thinker , argues that Saudi funding for the construction of mosques and the training of imams is a threat to Albania, since these mosques and imams reflect the fundamentalist interpretation of Islam dominant in Saudi Arabia.

Big in Albania

Ask me how much I knew about Albania before coming here and my list would be a short one: Enver Hoxha, bunkers and Sir Norman Wisdom. I have no idea when or how I acquired this extensive body of knowledge, but the association of Norman Wisdom with Albania was by far the most interesting part of it. I remember watching Norman Wisdom's old films on British television. My parents were fans of his wholesome, slapstick comedy, but apparently missed the ideological significance of Pitkin's relationship with Mr Grimsdale. Pitkin, the downtrodden and oppressed representative of the workers, triumphed every time over his capitalist oppressor, Mr Grimsdale - and he got the girl. It took a theorist of Hoxha's insight and profundity to discern this deeper political message. It always seemed tremendously unlikely, yet the story of Sir Norman's fame in Albania has been reported in worthy sources like the BBC , the Guardian and the Daily Telegraph . According to the Guardian, when Wi...