Skip to main content

Election Posters

As well as the bigger posters on advertising sites I showed yesterday, the campaign workers have also been out flyposting on any available flat surface. Again, Olldashi's people have been the more active. Unfortunately, nobody seems to have explained to them the number one rule of of political campaigning - don't put a poster of your candidate anywhere near an image of Mickey Mouse.

It's not just the leading candidates who are posting. In the last few days I have seen a large number of posters for Dr Edmund Stojku - presumably a candidate for that particular district.



While some have been putting posters up, others have been tearing them down. Dr Stojku's supporters used tape to attach theirs, which makes them very easy to pull down. Mr Olldashi's used paste - it takes more effort to get these off the wall, but someone out there seems to think it is worth the effort. The two defaced Olldashi posters below were part of a line of more than fifty pasted to the wall of a school opposite the American Embassy on Rruga Elbasanit. Every one had been defaced.



This enthusiasm for defacing the other side's posters is a bit depressing. Even in the highly uncivilised politics of Northern Ireland, election posters were generally left alone. So much so that some of the them were still flapping in the wind, faded and slowly disintegrating, months afterthe election was over.

Comments

Ll.T. said…
Thanks for pics Alwyn, you just keep on adding beers to my tab and I'll pay you off once I'm in Tirana :)

As for the defaced posters; unfortunately that has become a political tradition :(

Ll.
Anonymous said…
Edi Rama used glass protection for his posters... hehehe
olli said…
Looking forward to it Ll. Regarding the posters, I did notice on a local TV channel that someone had been arrested for doing this, but it doesn't seem to have stopped them.

Anon, their both behind glass (or plastic) for the big posters but I haven't seen any small posters for Rama yet.

Popular posts from this blog

Albania and the Perils of the 21st Century

Another article on religion in Albania appeared yesterday. Patrick Poole, writing in the American Thinker , argues that Saudi funding for the construction of mosques and the training of imams is a threat to Albania, since these mosques and imams reflect the fundamentalist interpretation of Islam dominant in Saudi Arabia.

Orthodox Cathedral

These are some pictures of the new Resurrection of Christ Orthodox Cathedral under construction in Tirana. The website of the architectural partnership behind the church has images of how it is planned to look when finished.

Big in Albania

Ask me how much I knew about Albania before coming here and my list would be a short one: Enver Hoxha, bunkers and Sir Norman Wisdom. I have no idea when or how I acquired this extensive body of knowledge, but the association of Norman Wisdom with Albania was by far the most interesting part of it. I remember watching Norman Wisdom's old films on British television. My parents were fans of his wholesome, slapstick comedy, but apparently missed the ideological significance of Pitkin's relationship with Mr Grimsdale. Pitkin, the downtrodden and oppressed representative of the workers, triumphed every time over his capitalist oppressor, Mr Grimsdale - and he got the girl. It took a theorist of Hoxha's insight and profundity to discern this deeper political message. It always seemed tremendously unlikely, yet the story of Sir Norman's fame in Albania has been reported in worthy sources like the BBC , the Guardian and the Daily Telegraph . According to the Guardian, when Wi...