Skip to main content

Gjirokaster - Old Town

More pictures of Gjirokaster on Flickr.











Comments

Anonymous said…
I get so angry when I read how they're destroying this city and not trying to rebuild it.The streets man! The streets of this town are all mabe of mosaics. How brilliant and original!
olli said…
It's now a UNESCO world heritage site so that should ensure that the heart of the old city is protected.

The big problem as I understand it is that as the new city expands at the bottom of the hill, a lot of businesses are relocating down that way and leaving the old city short of services.

In the long term if they can develop tourism it will have secure future - other businesses will want to move in. But until they reach that point it will be a difficult time.

Popular posts from this blog

Orthodox Cathedral

These are some pictures of the new Resurrection of Christ Orthodox Cathedral under construction in Tirana. The website of the architectural partnership behind the church has images of how it is planned to look when finished.

Albania and the Perils of the 21st Century

Another article on religion in Albania appeared yesterday. Patrick Poole, writing in the American Thinker , argues that Saudi funding for the construction of mosques and the training of imams is a threat to Albania, since these mosques and imams reflect the fundamentalist interpretation of Islam dominant in Saudi Arabia.

Big in Albania

Ask me how much I knew about Albania before coming here and my list would be a short one: Enver Hoxha, bunkers and Sir Norman Wisdom. I have no idea when or how I acquired this extensive body of knowledge, but the association of Norman Wisdom with Albania was by far the most interesting part of it. I remember watching Norman Wisdom's old films on British television. My parents were fans of his wholesome, slapstick comedy, but apparently missed the ideological significance of Pitkin's relationship with Mr Grimsdale. Pitkin, the downtrodden and oppressed representative of the workers, triumphed every time over his capitalist oppressor, Mr Grimsdale - and he got the girl. It took a theorist of Hoxha's insight and profundity to discern this deeper political message. It always seemed tremendously unlikely, yet the story of Sir Norman's fame in Albania has been reported in worthy sources like the BBC , the Guardian and the Daily Telegraph . According to the Guardian, when Wi...